Sunday, August 2, 2009

Please Let The Family Out Of The Dungeon

Somewhere around the beginning of March of 1998, I moved to Atlanta, Ga. I was lured by the seemingly endless opportunities of success, African American upward mobility, mild climate and of course, Freak Nik ’95. Yes, I caught on to what was to be about the last descent year for the festival. I had never been to an event where 100,000 or more, younger well to do African Americans gathered in one city for an event with such a feeling of togetherness if you will. I’m sure from the stories that have echoed across the country you wonder how I can say togetherness. It’s easy. People who came just had too much fun to fight. There was so much food, partying, and alcohol most of the partygoers were in near-hippie mode. Why yes, there was loud music, street parties and women shaking their goods until the cows came home. Through all of the activities, people actually found the time to converse, network and enjoy the city.

Before my high school spring break trip to Freak Nik, my mother had plans at one time to move to the A and I often thought about what it would be like to live here. I’d listened to M.C. Shy D, Kilo, and Success and Effect. A lot of what was coming out of the A at the time was booty shake. The fast paced Africa Bambaata influenced dance rhythms that were and at the right party now, is still the hometown staple. But in 1994, something completely different happened in the Hip-Hop scene in the South, Atlanta particularly. It was new, and sort of a love child of genius and awkward. It was Outkast, and they introduced us to The Dungeon Family. Ahh, The Dungeon Family, a crew of MC’s, producers, poets, singers, songwriters who successfully balanced being street with politically aware. There was Big Boi and Andre, Cee-Lo, Big Gipp, Khujo, T-Mo (Goodie Mob), Rico Wade, Ray Murray, Sleepy Brown (Organized Noize), Mr. DJ, Big Rube, Cool Breeze, EJ The Witchdoctor, Joi, Back Bone, Slim Calhoun, C-Bone and later Killer Mike and Bubba Sparxxx. There was also Big Reese, Mello Capone and KP, who also headed up the Attic Crew that bought the likes of Cutty Cartel, Powlow, Mr. Mo (Jim Crow), The Youngbloodz, and T.I.

You’ve had the Wu-Tang Clan, Juice Crew, DITC Crew, Death Row, Drama Ward and numerous crews I could name but, this is a line up that is also worthy of respect and a bit of gratitude, especially in their hometown. This is why I’m absolutely flabbergasted that there is the minutest trace of any of their songs being played on ATL radio stations. I’m not the artist and feel offended by what I feel is the lack of homage being paid to the forerunners of the “new” Hip Hop sound of the South and Atlanta. With all of the songs recorded by the Dungeon Family, I think there should be enough to play some of their material fairly frequent without repetition. Instead of that so-so song that we’ll hear again in about an hour, I’d just like to groove to a little “Cell Therapy”. My first month in ATL, Goodie Mobs’ “Still Standing” had just been released. There were 3 of us in a one-bedroom apartment in College Park with the radio on all day, except to watch Good Times and Martin. Goodie Mob, Youngbloodz, and PA had to be the top played groups on all of the Urban Stations. Ludacris (known as Chris Luva Luva on Hot 97.5 ATL) and Poon Daddy kept the DF in rotation. Not to expect that stations will totally abandon the seemingly robotic format that “the man” pushing the buttons has set forth, I just feel it’s right to save some airtime for the local heroes. I may be forgetting the radio politics that sometimes dissatisfies more listeners than will be admitted, but this is how I feel and I don’t believe I’m alone. Feel free to let me know what you think and don’t forget to Spread The Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment

2Pac "Souljah's Story"