Thursday, December 30, 2010

2010 Are You Ready?

   Alright, so it's the end of 2011 and so much music has and news has come, passed, been forgotten, and driven through the wringer that it's nearly impossible for me to maintain any sort of chronological history or all of the events of this year so I'll just touch on a few in short order.
 
 Fat Joe came with it on a SOLID album that had one of my favorite songs of the year "No Problemz". T.I unfortunately went back to jail but put together a good package to hold us over until he comes back. Also in regard to T.I, he smashed that verse on "Fancy" didn't he?.

WAIT, STOP THE PARTY! Swizz Beatz showed this year why he is "The Monster" by making the hit songs and remixes this year. He produced song's like "Roman's Revenge" for Emenim and Nicki Minaj which by the way was simply animalistic and made "the issue" between Nicki Minaj and Lil' Kim official. You tell me your thoughts on the results of that. While speaking of Monsters, Nicki along with Kanye, Jay Z and Rick Ross transformed into beasts for one of the biggest songs of the year in "Monster". "First things first I'll eat your brain"! Who says that?! Oh yeah the video is below.

While mentioning Kanye, although I would have not liked for him to have apologized to Lucifer himself (George W. Bush) because the prick was unappreciative of the sentiment and as always too arrogant to even want to get Ye's name right, I understood where it was coming from. Also, I would like for Taylor Swift fans and non-fans to quit bitching and tell the girl to do what is proper and cut that man a check for new found popularity. Lastly, I would like to say that this cat has again fouind a way to create great music and be the biggest asshole ever to critics without spelling it out in ABC fashion, hense "Monster"

In other Def Jam stories, again the label whose foundation is Hip Hop lacks promotion of Hip Hop. While Rick Ross had the hottest summer seen by a Def Jam artist since Jay Z which BLAZING hot singles like "BMF" and "MC Hammer" the numbers didn't add up to the expectations. Gold is not the worst but Hip Hop was spoiled with Platinum plus for a few years. Big Boi, Redman and Ghostface who all put forth great works but promotion that is less than what Def Jam is known for doing for their premier Hip Hop Artists. With that being said, that WU Massacre was on fire, you know, grown people's rap. Ludacris made sure that he kept himself and Atlanta noticed by doing what he does best and rhyming.

Luda had some help from Gucci Mane and Waka Flaka who have made a foundation for themselves amist so many negative sentiments from individuals in the Hip Hop commuity. Some who may not have embraced their efforts in the beginning, have embraced their realistic ideals, loyalty to each other, and honesty. It's almost like Soulja Boy who "swagged" his way into another infamous year whether for the good or bad.

In Young Money news outside of Nicki Minaj, Lil' Wayne came home, got right to work and hit the streets with 6"7 which was much needed for him to get back into the swing and for me as I can't listen to anymore Drake songs. Before I'm labled as a hater, let me state that I like the rapper Drake. I just need new material because there has been an oversaturation of the market that I need a brake from right now.

The biggest comeback of the year is obviously Emenim who came back larger than King Kong. Everything that he's touched this year has been spotless and that's good for him. Good to see the asshole back in the race.

Mentions go to 50 and Jadakiss for "Dump", Yelawolf for being just that awkward in perception and that nice on the mic, Joel Ortiz for being that asshole rapper that I miss in Hip Hop, Ice Cube and Rev Run and the gang for bridging the gap on the BET Hip Hop Awards, Lloyd Banks for staying down and shining in a way that I didn't notice before, Dipset for bringing it back together, Bun B for holding up after a great loss and putting in great work w/ Talib Kweli, Talib Kweli and Hi Tek for Another album, Jay Electronica for providing verbal chess matches, The Cool Kids for staying off the beaten path and funky, Cali Swagg District for getting sexy ass grown women up out of their seats and wiggling perfectly, B.O.B for doing exactly what he wants to do and making it work, Dr. Dre for finally moving his finger toward the album release button after another 10 years, and Skillz for another Year End Rap Up which I know is coming, but haven't heard yet. Like I said, I can't remember everything so there may be an update but until then, TELL SOMEBODY and follow me on Twitter at TheMarcusObrien.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2Pac "Souljah's Story"